Meet The Medical Director
When it comes to your appearance, there is no reason for you to ever settle for second best. Dr. Brent Moelleken, M.D., F.A.C.S., specializes in cosmetic surgery and he is a double-board certified plastic surgeon by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Plastic Surgery. With offices in Beverly Hills and Santa Barbara, California, Dr. Moelleken received his premedical, medical, and surgical training in prestigious schools such as Harvard University, Yale University, UCSF, and UCLA. A respected authority in plastic surgery with over 17 years experience, Dr. Moelleken is one of only three specialty-trained surgeons in the world to complete the year-long Aesthetic Surgery Fellowship at UCLA. He has the prestigious FACS degree and is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), Who’s Who in the World, and numerous medical and scientific organizations. He has been selected by Who’s Who in America’s Top Plastic Surgeons in Los Angeles, Ciudad’s Top Doctors in Los Angeles, and by Vogue Magazine as one of the Top 10 Plastic Surgeons in America.
Dr. Moelleken was featured on Dateline NBC for his surgical innovations, which earned him a prize for outstanding contribution to the advancement of aesthetic surgery. He became a regular on ABC’s hit show Extreme Makeover as a featured member of the “Extreme Team” and patients from around the globe sought him out, hoping for a miracle. Dr. Moelleken has appeared on numerous local and national television segments including the Discovery Health Channel, Dateline, Extra, ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MTV, MSNBC, E! Entertainment, The Doctors, Oprah, and numerous national and international shows. He is frequently featured in European and Asian television segments including programs in the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, and numerous Spanish-speaking channels in South and Central America.
Dr. Moelleken is routinely sought out by other plastic surgeons for his expertise and skill and he has developed innovative procedures he uses on patients in the California area and around the world. Dr. Moelleken has pioneered numerous cosmetic surgery procedures including the USIC® and LUSIC® Ultrashort incision Cheeklift, the 360 Facelift®, the Hybrid tummy tuck®, LiveFill®, and the Neck-Lace®:
- The USIC® (Ultrashort incision Cheeklift) and LUSIC® (LiveFill Ultrashort incision Cheeklift), takes away the need to make incisions underneath the eyelid where the majority of cheek-lift incisions are typically made. This cheek-lift operation offers a faster recovery technique for lifting and rejuvenating the lower eyelids and cheek region. The fat restoration included in the superficial Cheeklift produces a cleaner; more rested appearance below your eyes and avoids some of the changes in eye shape associated with lower eyelid surgery involving an incision below the eyelid.
- The 360 Facelift® includes a multitude of procedures that help improve your overall facial appearance. The incisions are made all around your face, including your chin, ear, and scalp area. These small incisions are used to remove fat deposits and to place implants as necessary. Each patient is different so this innovative plastic surgery technique varies between patients.
- The Hybrid tummy tuck® (Hybrid abdominoplasty®), is different from the standard tummy tuck in that the incision is much smaller which greatly reduces recovery time. The Hybrid tummy tuck® involves a C-section type incision with full tightening of the deep fascia without translocation of the umbilicus. A conventional tummy tuck usually requires a hip-to-hip incision making Dr. Moelleken’s procedure perfect, since the incision is so small it is barely noticeable. The Hybrid tummy tuck® is best performed on a person who is physically fit and in shape with the exception of a slight bulge in the tummy area.
- LiveFill™, (disarticulated fascial fat grafts), is a method of permanently augmenting areas of hollowness in your face as well as increasing lip fullness. The LiveFill™ technique is used to obtain the same results as BOTOX® except LiveFill™ is much more permanent. This technique uses natural skin and fat grafts to fill in areas that appear sunken and this helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Since the skin grafts are obtained from the abdomen area, the LiveFill™ method has many advantages over conventional fat injection including higher survival rates and much less swelling postoperatively.
- The Neck-Lace® procedure is a technique that helps increase the firmness of your neck just under your chin. As individuals age, many complain of a sagging neck area where the skin becomes loose. The Neck-Lace® procedure involves a small incision just under your chin area before a procedure similar to liposuction is used to remove deposits just under your jaw. These deposits cause the sagging and when removed, the tightness of your skin improves.
A proponent of lifelong education, Dr. Moelleken finds the field of cosmetic surgery to be dynamic and continually improving. Because of his commitment to developing advanced ways to obtain the desired results for patients in the least invasive method, Dr. Moelleken is constantly assimilating new innovations into his practice. His passion to continue creating better cosmetic surgery methods is just one of the ways he demonstrates his dedication towards patient care and recovery. Dr. Moelleken has demonstrated his skill and expertise at several international meetings and he has over 100 published articles, presentations, and abstracts including many in the Journal of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and the American Society Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). He has published numerous other articles in the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, several segments in People Magazine, and numerous national and international print stories.
Dr. Moelleken is an Attending Surgeon and Associate Clinical Professor in the Division of Plastic Surgery at UCLA, where he often performs surgeries and teaches residents. He specializes in patients diagnosed with skin cancers in the facial area who require complex, artful reconstructions and his greatest joy is returning them to a normal life and appearance after they have survived skin cancer. Dr. Moelleken often provides free surgical services to Veterans at the West Los Angeles Veterans Hospital through his UCLA affiliation and he has his own charity, the About Face Foundation®, which helps children and victims of violence or crime who might otherwise be unable to afford reconstructive services. Dr. Moelleken’s two years of laboratory research in wound healing at the NIH funded laboratory at UCSF Medical Center has helped him to optimize wound healing in every surgical incision to create the finest scars possible with current technology. Dr. Moelleken keeps abreast of current research and is a frequent contributor to exploration in wound healing and new technology.
For most people considering cosmetic surgery, the results are not about merely fixing one particular flaw. It is about creating visual harmony that is gracefully integrated among all of your features with balance and proportion. Dr. Moelleken understands this concept and he believes that a surgeon with both exemplary surgical skills and an artistic eye is essential to maximizing your aesthetic potential. He feels that art and perspective comprise 30% of the surgical equation, while the other 70% comes from unhurried, compassionate surgical judgment, knowledge, and technique. Combining excellence in clinical performance and artistry to expand each patient’s own beauty, Dr. Moelleken will improve your look by providing a naturally appearing result for years to come. He provides you with a complete range of enhancements to choose from and he educates you in the numerous ways that different cosmetic procedures can be combined to obtain the optimum outcome.
Dr. Moelleken is committed to upholding the integrity of the cosmetic surgery profession and he encourages all patients considering any procedure to research their physician and allow only those who are most competent to perform their work. When you decide on a plastic surgeon, you choose the staff as well and Dr. Moelleken is proud of his exceptional and well-qualified staff. Together, from the moment you walk in their door, they will make your experience relaxing, informative, and fulfilling by exceeding your expectations through compassion, concern, and professionalism. Dr. Moelleken performs all surgical consultations himself and he looks forward to meeting with you and helping you achieve all of your wishes and desires.